Go to Main NavigationGo to Secondary NavigationGo to SearchGo to Left NavigationSkip to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation

You are currently visiting Farmingdale's old website, content on these pages may be out of date, for best results, visit our new site at farmingdale.edu.

Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS

Frequently Asked Questions About DegreeWorks

If you cannot find the answer to your question below feel free to email the Registrar's Office at degreeworks@farmingdale.edu.

A: DegreeWorks is a web based tool to help students and advisors monitor student's progress toward degree completion. DegreeWorks combines Farmingdale State College’s (FSC) degree requirements and the coursework you have completed with an easy-to-read worksheet that helps you see how courses that you have completed count toward degree requirements, and that helps you see what courses and requirements you still need to complete. However, the official certification of degree requirements is done by your curriculum chairperson.

A: A DegreeWorks Audit is a review of past, current and planned coursework that provides information on complete, in progress (courses you are currently registered for) and missing requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/concentration. The audit is divided into block requirements such as Degree, General Education, Writing Intensive and Liberal Arts, Dual Major, Minor and Concentration (for those programs that require students to complete a concentration). Each block works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met or is in progress (takes into account courses you are currently registered for).

A: Students who entered FSC with a catalog year of 2012-2013 and later will be able to view degree audits produced in DegreeWorks. If the catalog year is prior to catalog year 2012-2013 you may use the ‘What-If’ functionality in DegreeWorks but are required to see an academic advisor to verify degree requirements since the audit being used lists the requirements from catalog year 2012-2013. FSC is working on building prior catalog years but that will take time so until we’re ready to roll-out previous years students using previous catalog years must seek advisement from your advisor in order to verify degree requirements.

A:The What If function is a great tool to use if you are planning on changing or adding a major, minor. To perform a What If audit:

  1. Click on the "What If" tab on the left hand side of the audit.
  2. Select the major or minor you are considering.
  3. Select the catalog year that matches the term that you wish to change your major.
  4. Click “Process Audit.”

Carefully review the requirements for the new program to see how this will affect your future semesters. You can discuss the new program requirements with an advisor.

What If audits are not saved in DegreeWorks, so you will need to follow the steps above in order to revisit any What If audit you create. You can print your What If audit for future reference.

Please note: This is not the same as officially changing your program. You will need to contact the chairperson of your intended program to see if you meet the admission requirements for the new program and if requirements are met then you must complete a Curriculum Change Form.

A: Yes. Like other processes that you perform through OASIS, DegreeWorks is accessed through your secure log-in. However, your advisor, faculty and authorized staff will be able to view the information contained in your degree audit.

A: The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. As changes are made to your record (e.g., grade changes, course substitutions/waivers or classes added/dropped, academic standing) you will be able to view in degreeworks the next day.

A:Yes. During the grading period as grades are entered by the instructor they are rolled every couple of hours, once this happens they are viewable in DegreeWorks.

A: No. Registration including pre-requisite checks will continue to be handled through OASIS.

A: Yes. Utilizing the ‘Save as PDF’ button, you can save or print a .pdf version of your audit. When doing so please be aware of FERPA regulations; they can be viewed on the FERPA tab to the left of this page.

A: Yes. On the Audit tab, click on the 'Class History' link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at Farmingdale as well as any transfer credits you may have been granted. 

A:  This can be for a number of reasons:

    1) If a student has changed majors, courses that once counted for the previous major no longer are required by the new major.

    2) Students may have taken more elective courses than required.

    3) There may have been more transfer credits posted than required.

A: Please contact the Registrar's Office immediately! If it's an audit issue our office will make the appropriate correction(s); If it's a course requirement issue we will refer you to your department chairperson. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong.  You can email us at degreeworks@farmingdale.edu with your concern or stop by our office located in Laffin Hall room 225. Below are the most common questions raised and the course of action:

My major is wrong and/or doesn't appear on my worksheet.
If you have not declared a curriculum or if you have already submitted the necessary forms to Change your Curriculum check with the Admissions Office to make sure that there were no problems processing your paperwork. Otherwise you can obtained a Change of Curriculum Form  which you will need to take to your advisor to obtain the necessary approval. If you have changed your major for a future term, the change will not be reflected in DegreeWorks until that term begins.

The requirements for my major are wrong.
Look at the catalog term that appears on each of the bars that separate the blocks in your worksheet. This is the catalog year that DegreeWorks is using for your requirements. The catalog year is being pulled from your academic record. If you’re actually using older requirements you will need to contact your curriculum Chairperson for a degree evaluation since DegreeWorks uses the 2012-2013 catalog year and later.

My transfer courses don't appear in my Degree Audit.
If you’re concerned about a transfer course that should be used for requirements and does not appear in your degree audit contact the Transfer Credit Evaluator at Tsr@farmingdale.edu or stop by the office located in Laffin Hall.

My advisor or department chair gave me permission to substitute a course but it's not showing on my audit.
First, check with the Registrar’s Office to see if the paperwork was received from the academic department. If the Registrar’s Office does not have the paperwork they will refer you to the academic department so you can follow up with the advisor.

A: First, don't panic. If you have followed the requirements as shown in DegreeWorks and have followed up with your advisor periodically we should be able to figure out why a certain requirement(s) are not being picked by DegreeWorks. If there’s a need to update information on your degree audit your department advisor will follow up with our office to resolve the issue.

A: At least four times a semester. Please review your degree audit:
-Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
-After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would.
-After your grades for each semester are posted.
-Any time you make a change to your schedule.

A: Your degree audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required, completed and in progress in your degree program. Your transcript is your official college record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information. Your official transcript must be requested from the Registrar’s Office, for Grades & Transcript click the tab to the left of this page.

A: It may be okay. DegreeWorks is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement whenever that is applicable. However, if you have any questions regarding your specific program, contact your advisor or the Registrar's Office at Degreeworks@farmingdale.edu.

A: Please contact the Registrar's Office at Degreeworks@farmingdale.edu or stop by our office in Laffin Hall. As long as the course is approved by your advisor for use in another area, we will be glad to adjust your degree audit to reflect this approved change.

A: In most cases, your General Education classes are coded during the Admissions process by the Transfer Credit Evaluator so they would be applied in the appropriate area on your worksheet. The Transfer Credit Evaluator reviews each student with an AA or AS degree to make sure this works as planned, and to make adjustments as necessary. If your worksheet does not look like you expected it to or you believe courses are missing, please contact the Transfer Credit Evaluator at TSR@farmingdale.edu and she will follow up with the Registrar's office.

A: While DegreeWorks has been designed to check almost everything that you must complete to qualify for graduation, there may be additional non-course requirements for your curriculum that must be completed as well. Therefore, you should use DegreeWorks in conjunction with the College Catalog and with any information that your major department provides to ensure that you remain on track for graduation. If you have questions about any additional requirements for your curriculum, you should contact your advisor.

A: The degree progress bar will not show 100% completion until you finish all of your in-progress courses and earn acceptable grades in them.

A: Your petition will be programmed after it is approved by your advisor or department chair, and, if necessary, dean. Once the paperwork is received at the Registrar’s Office the course you completed will be forced to fulfill the requirement in question, and, in most cases, an additional line will appear under it that explains why the exception was entered. If your waiver/substitution is related to a transfer course, we will make an adjustment to the course equivalency to ensure that it appears in the correct spot in your audit. In those cases, there may not be an explanation related to the change on your worksheet, however, the course will be moved to the requirement that it should fulfill.

A: You can use the “what-if” tab to run an audit using criteria for the intended program. However, please note, that what-if audits are unofficial and do not guarantee that you will meet the admissions requirements for acceptance into that program. If you decide you'd like to change your curriculum, you should visit the curriculum department for your intended major for information on curriculum change procedures.

A: Use the “what-if” tab, select the minor in the selection area. Enter the Minor you're interested in and run an audit. Be aware that some majors will list a restrictive list of minors. If you're interested in declaring a Minor you must officially apply and be approved for a minor. To obtain permission to add a Minor you must go to the department that offers the Minor. The list of Minors, requirements and departments that offer them are in the catalog at https://www.farmingdale.edu/registrar/catalog.shtml.

A: Either you haven't declared your concentration yet, or you ran a "what-if" without adding a concentration. If you need to declare your concentration, stop by your curriculum department office to complete the necessary paperwork and they will forward that information to the Registrar's Office for processing. Once processed you will be able to see the concentration in the Student View part of the audit.

A: If you repeat a course, your last attempt counts toward degree requirements. This will be the attempt that appears on your worksheet. After you receive a grade for your second attempt, the first attempt will be placed in the "Courses not Used" category at the bottom of your worksheet. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements.

A: Most courses should be hyperlinked. In a few cases, we had to trick the system to provide the best advice possible for you which obscured the hyperlink. In these cases, you won't be able to use a hyperlink to see the course description; you will need to go to the catalog located at https://www.farmingdale.edu/registrar/catalog.shtml.

A: This is a wild card in DegreeWorks. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 100:400), it means that you can take a 100-400 level course from any subject area. If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSY @), it means that you can take any Psychology course at any level.

A: If you have any other questions regarding the use of DegreeWorks that is not covered here, please email the Registrar's Office at DegreeWorks@farmingdale.edu or stop by our office in Laffin Hall room 225.