Location: Outside the lobby entrance to Greenley Hall
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Drop-In Hours: Tuesdays from 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Drop-In Hours end on 12/10 and will resume on 2/4
Nexus Center Career Development
Our goal is to empower students and alumni to explore, define and achieve their academic and post-graduate goals. It is never too early or too late to engage in the career exploration and planning process. Visit our Career Counseling FAQ page to learn about all of the services offered by the Nexus Center.
- General Chronological Resume
- Job Scan - Use this tool to analyze how well your resume is tailored for a particular job/internship
- For an in-depth career counseling experience which utilizes career assessment instruments to assist in your choice of academic major or career exploration, you may arrange an appointment with a Nexus counselor. Working with a Nexus counselor, you will be able to incorporate the results of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory into your academic and career decision-making process.
- Appointments to meet with Cheryl Stratigos, our Career Counselor, are scheduled through CareerConnect, our online career services platform. Register/Sign In for CareerConnect. After registering, you will receive an email asking that you verify your account information, after which time you will be able to set a password and log into your CareerConnect account to schedule an appointment.
- Appointments to meet with Dolores Ciaccio, our Career Development Director, can be made by calling 934-420-2488 or emailing email@example.com with your availability.
Candid Career provides informational video interviews featuring industry professionals. Get the inside scoop on careers as well as advice that will give you an edge in your job search. Search videos by industry, career title, college major or keywords! This is a great way to gather valuable career information to help with your decision-making. Click on the CandidCareer logo to get started, and be sure to watch the "Why Use the Career Center?" video on the CandidCareer.com homepage.
- Industry-Specific Resources
MANAGING YOUR PROFESSIONAL ONLINE PRESENCE
LinkedIn Learning offers students, faculty and staff unlimited on-demand access to a full library of online video tutorials on a variety of topics, including technology, software and business skills. You can learn at your own pace and access course content anytime, anywhere - from a computer, mobile device or tablet. Log in here.
- Appointments to meet with Cheryl Stratigos, Career Counselor, are scheduled through CareerConnect, our online career services
- If you are registered with CareerConnect: Sign into your account here and choose "Request a Counseling Appointment" under the "Shortcuts" menu on your homepage.
- If you are not yet registered with CareerConnect: Click here and choose "Sign Up". After completing the registration form, you will receive an email asking you to verify your account information, followed by an email prompting you to set up a password. Once your account is activated, sign in and look for "Request a Counseling Appointment" under the "Shortcuts" menu on your homepage.
- Appointments to meet with Dolores Ciaccio, our Career Development Director, can be made by calling 934-420-2488 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability.
WHERE IS THE NEXUS CENTER (FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE CAREER CENTER) LOCATED?
The Nexus Center for Applied Learning and Career Development is located on the lobby level of Greenley Hall, just outside the building entrance.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO MEET WITH A NEXUS CENTER COUNSELOR?
The best time to meet with a counselor is when you first enroll as a student! This will allow you to take full advantage of the entire career planning process by the time you graduate. By utilizing of the services of the Nexus Center during your time as a Farmingdale student, you will be more prepared and confident as you prepare for a lifetime of career exploration and growth. Nexus Center services are available to all Farmingdale students, including distance learning, and alumni.
HOW CAN A NEXUS CENTER COUNSELOR HELP ME?
Counselors provide career assessment and counseling which help guide your exploration of personality, interests and values and their correlation to "best fit" career paths. This is especially helpful if you're unsure of your career direction. We are also available to help you with resume and cover letter preparation, networking and interviewing skills, the use of social media to enhance your professional online presence, career research and job search strategies, how to navigate a job fair and how to satisfy the Applied Learning Graduation Requirement at FSC.
HOW DO I FIND A JOB?
Our web-based platform, CareerConnect, offers up-to-the-minute job and internship postings from hiring managers and recruiters who are looking for Farmingdale students and alumni. To register or log into CareerConnect, visit https://farmingdale-csm.symplicity.com/students.
The Nexus Center is also able to assist you with your job search by providing opportunities to meet with recruiters at the job fairs that we host each semester. Job fairs are advertised across campus, on CareerConnect and on the Nexus Center website under the Career Development tab. The Nexus Center also conducts an Employer Spotlight presentations each semester, where industry representatives visit the campus to meet with students in a small-group setting, providing industry information and recruiting for open positions. Event dates are posted on our homepage and CareerConnect.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO SEE A NEXUS CENTER COUNSELOR?
The services of the Nexus Center for Applied Learning and Career Development are free of charge to all enrolled students and alumni.
Dolores Ciaccio, M.A., M.B.A.
Director, Career Development
Dolores serves as the Director of Career Development within the Nexus Center, where students are assisted with strategies to maximize their career goals from the time they enter Farmingdale until graduation. Career assistance is also available to alumni. The Nexus Center provides one-to-one career counseling, career assessments, assistance with the use of social media for job search, group workshops on career issues, job fairs as well as other career-related, campus-wide events.
Dolores holds a Master of Arts Degree in Education and a Master of Business Administration Degree in Management. She also holds a Professional Certificate in Adult Career and Life Planning from NYU and is a Master Practitioner in the administration and evaluation of the renowned Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), a widely-used career assessment that assists individuals in finding best-fit careers. She is a past-president of the Western Suffolk Counselors Association and a frequent presenter of workshops on career issues at conferences in the Metro New York area.
Cheryl Stratigos, M.Ed., NCC, CCC, BC-HSP
Cheryl meets with students and alumni through all stages of their career planning and development. She assists students in identifying and exploring career choices through career assessment and career research. Cheryl is available to assist with cover letters, resumes, networking skills, LinkedIn and interview preparation. She facilitates a variety of career development workshops on topics including LinkedIn, resume writing, career planning and interviewing skills.
Cheryl holds a Master's Degree in Counseling, as well as a Specialized Certificate in College Counseling from University of California San Diego. Cheryl holds the following credentials: National Certified Counselor, Certified Career Counselor, Career Development Facilitator Instructor and eLearning Trainer and Certified Career Services Provider from the National Career Development Association (NCDA), MBTI-Certified Practitioner (Step I and II), Strong Interest Inventory Certification and Board-Certified Human Services Practitioner.